Hampden Hawker: Honfest 2008: Hampdenites Party Through Controversy

Hampden Hawker

THE Hampden Gossip Blog

Hopefully Factual, Fueled by Speculation

Email the tip line: hampdenhawker@gmail.com

Monday, June 16, 2008

Honfest 2008: Hampdenites Party Through Controversy

Honfest happened.

There were beehive hairdos, funnel cakes and art for sale.

My favorite image--I just couldn't get my camera out in time--was a couple of girls walking north on Falls Road early Saturday evening with Royal Farms plastic bags wrapped around their heads to protect their dos.

My favorite quote:

Scene: In front of Breathe Books at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday at Honfest
Cast: Well-dressed suburban guy, his wife & baby in a stoller

Guy: "It's CLOSED! My God! We came all the way from Washington to go here ONLY and it's closed."

Go, Breathe Books! You're the real draw, not Honfest.

More Sun photos and details re: the nontroversy here. If you still want more pix, try a few blogs (here, here and here)

7 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger bosconet said...

Yes there were funnel cakes but the one we got Sunday was bad. Which pretty much gives Honfest/Hampden fest a perfect record for not having good funnel cakes.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Plantastic said...

I heard this! I, personally, skipped the funnel cakes because of bad press, but it's not really a street festival if there aren't funnel cakes (quality aside) now is it?

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a Honfest story. Walking down Falls, I saw a shirtless kid in front of the library with a shaved head and a swastika tattoo on his chest. Upon seeing his friend walk by, he proudly said, "I got my ass kicked out of Honfest!"

"For that shit on your chest?" his friend replied?

"No, I threw a full beer can in this guy's face!"

Walking on to 36th and seeing everyone dressed up as "hons" didn't do much for me after that.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos link! It was actually my first honfest and I had a blast. Great people and it's awesome to see Hampden thriving. As for the funnel cakes, quite overcooked but I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "bad funnel cake" :-)

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the guy with the Swastika tattoo...

he was also tauting, yes TAUNTING a black police officer at the RoFo on the Ave. on Saturday with his tat.

However, i noticed that when he was walking down Falls Rd. later that day, and he passed a group of black youths, he managed to take the Tshirt out of his back pocket and hang it over his shoulder to cover up the swastika...interesting.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah swastika guy likes to show that off. Looks like he lives to the right of the medical practice on Falls/Union. American X wannabe.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Swastika Dude lives above Sirkis Hardware, hence why he's always stumbling around Falls Rd looking dumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home