Hampden Hawker: A more personal look at crime in Hampden

Hampden Hawker

THE Hampden Gossip Blog

Hopefully Factual, Fueled by Speculation

Email the tip line: hampdenhawker@gmail.com

Monday, July 23, 2007

A more personal look at crime in Hampden

Ok. So I seem to offended the left (of which Hawker is unapologetically part of) in my last post. I meant no disrespect.

Hawker brings news about Hampden, and Last Reporter purports to have it. Plus irony is a hard thing to communicate via text, and Hawker thought his bio would speak for itself (though in the interest of full disclosure: my bio was once Tiny Tim's bio cribbed from Wikipedia.) Oh, and please note that I said this guy "apparently" puts together crime statistics. I apologize if my language was confusing and if by linking to him, I implied endorsement. See, this guy writes about Hampden too, and hope that by simply linking to him, you don't get the impression that I'm endorsing him in any way. (His thoughts, for the record, are highly disturbing, not to mention offensive to my awesome next-door neighbor who was born and raised in Hampden.) I'll be more careful about being clearer about my point of view in the future.

So if you go here, although the Baltimore City Police Department takes pains to let you know that it "cannot give any guarantees as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or correct sequencing of the information," you can query their database of reported crime.

For Hampden, from June 23 -July 7 (a similar period to the one broken down by Last Reporter,) you get 26 incidents:

6 stolen auto
2 home burgulary
10 larceny (from various places)
3 aggravated assault (knife and "other")
and 2 "Robb Highway"

You could write a song.

Still disturbing, but perhaps more accurate--depending on who you trust.

Truth is, crime is something that's part of big city life, but Baltimore seems to be having a tough time getting a handle on it, and it's disturbing to talk about. A discussion of crime taps into our worst fears about our personal safety and challenges our optimism and faith in our fellow man. At the end of the day, I guess the impact of crime in Baltimore comes down to two things a) your personal experience and b) your perceptions.

Seeing as when I was living in Chicago in the mid-to-late-90's, I was the victim of a) a break-in, b) an attempted robbery of my bike and c) a mugging at gun point, not to mention the times my boyfriend was held up by gun point at his job and I was assaulted/grabbed on the street in the Loop, Hampden feels pretty damn safe to me.

So, how safe do YOU feel in Hampden?

4 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger M.K. Foys said...

"and 2 'Robb Highway'"

???

Is that the name of the Scottish Highwayman, rogue and roustabout that's been terrorizing our county roads?

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Benn said...

That just goes to show me, just because it's a gossip blog doesn't mean I can be lazy in my reading of it.

You raise some interesting questions about crime that I have been thinking about quite a lot lately.

Most specifically, my interest is why so many people who don't like Baltimore are so angry about Baltimore Crime - as Hampden Hawker witnesses firsthand when she accompanied me to the Ray Family Compound for the 4th of July.

I've been working on a number of theories about all of this stuff - which I'm hoping to work out as a cohesive whole in the next Shank.

Is "Robb Highway" the same as "highway robbery"?

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Plantastic said...

I spend lots of time within the region, but outside of Baltimore, for work.

With fellow Baltimore citizens, the subject of crime rarely comes up. (I'm not touting this a good thing, just a fact.)

With folks from DC, Frederick, Bethesda, etc. it takes about 5 minutes for them to start peppering me with questions about how bad it really is "up there."

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger lala_lisa said...

WHY did I click on the Vila Julie kid's blog and read the latest entry??? WHY????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home